Sunday, 14 April 2013

Five Weeks Post Surgery..

I know I say this every week but I never imagined I'd be writing five weeks post surgery. I will be doing my updates on a Sunday from now on as I will be heading back to College Sunday evenings and the internet connection isn't all that. I'm excited to be going back to college and see everybody. I wonder if they'll even notice the difference.

I've been looking over my posts to see if I'm putting in sufficient information on the important bits so I've been keeping a little check list when things pop into my head. So it started with the fact that for about two weeks now my lips are not as dry as they used to be. There was a point I needed vaseline about 25/30 times a day, now I use it 3/4 times a day. It feels good not to have such dry lips and appear very vain by constantly putting vaseline on my lips.

In terms of numbness, I don't have any and I do have feeling in the part I wasn't sure about. I tested it with a pin. Although I don't have numbness I do have a strange feeling on my lower right lip. I'm not sure how to describe it exactly but it's not numb. I do occasionally get pins and needles in the area but it doesn't last too long. This brings me onto the inside of my mouth. My cheeks, around where the stitches were feels very tight. I would imagine this will go away eventually but sometimes I worry it will tear if I stretch it to much though this is probably not possible.

Although I've been given the go ahead to chew I find it very strange and avoid anything remotely hard. It hurts but only because my back teeth are moving which is good progress. I will look forward to a day when I can just eat without thinking about it however I'd say it will be a long way away but I'm okay with that. The elastics are very irritating. Putting them on is hard and time consuming and the rub off the inside of my cheek and when they break it can hurt depending where it hits. However this is something I am more than willing to live with as the end is in sight.

My energy levels are so close to being back to normal. I get tired still if I've had a full day of activities but I'm able to force myself not to nap and this leads to good nights of sleep. I'm waking up feeling very refreshed. I haven't had any pain in a few days. I can now lay on either side at night time and not feel any pain at all. This is very exciting.

Overall I feel about 95% recovered at just five weeks post surgery. I am 100% happy with the results. I know I'm not perfect, nobody is but I am beyond happy with how my profile looks. Before surgery when someone pointed a camera at me my first reaction was to avoid a profile view and had perfected a way to tilt my head. Now when someone points a camera at me I don't care what angle they are coming from. This in itself is life changing. My confidence has grown so much and so many people have commented on this. I believe this process of surgery is far more than a physical one, it's psychological. It changes your mind set, your mood and self-image. I don't know if it's coincidence or not but currently I am the happiest in life than I have been for as long as I can remember and every day as I get closer to having the braces off I get a little bit happier.

To all you people currently awaiting surgery.. All I can say is.. GET EXCITED!

Here are my photos at five weeks. I hope to do some before and after photos next week for week six:




1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making it to five weeks - you look great! :) xx

    ReplyDelete