Sunday, 12 May 2013

Recovery Week Nine..

Here I am, nine weeks post surgery, sitting in my room, all studied out, ready to attack exams like surgery never happened. Well, I do get certain reminders of surgery every now and then such as when I yawn, first comes the yawn, then the pain swiftly followed by a facial expression that looks like I've just drank the juice of a lemon. I can't help but feel that this will always be the case but it's something I can live with I guess.

I also realized this week that I can now open my mouth fully. A whole two fingers wide. Those of you who have not had this surgery will not be able to appreciate the significance of this. It's a major milestone. It does hurt a little bit but none the less I am almost at a point where I can use a dessert/soup spoon as opposed to eating EVERYTHING off a tea spoon. Sometimes I find myself opening my mouth, simply because I can! 

I've haven't been very good with my night time elastics, in fact I've slept without them for two nights now. I've no idea if my lax attitude will cause me any setbacks at this point. It will be pretty silly of me if it does after being so rigid with every other part of treatment. I'm not sure if any other surgery goers have felt this way but this last stretch is most definitely the longest. A week feels like a month. However, when I feel this way I force a walk to my calender, and look at this until any negative feelings pass: 


I've also spent a lot of time this week thinking back to a post pre surgery when I was beyond worried about getting back to normal and on top of many things including college work. Now that I'm four exams away from completing the semester,100% caught up and 100% confident on passing I wonder how much of our lives are wasted with unnecessary worry. After much evaluation and analysis I believe that I worried at least 50% more than necessary with regard to surgery and more specifically the ability to recover. So if you're on your journey, take my advise, worry at least 1% less every day. 

On that note, here are some pictures week nine: 







6 comments:

  1. You're looking amazing! I love that Smile because you can picture, and I even love your calendar! :) Don't worry about the elastics, we all slip and do a few 'naughty' things every now and then! :P xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. Glad to see you've made week six, it's all good from here :) xx

      Delete
  2. You look fantastic! I am so looking forward to getting to the recovery side of this process. My ortho and surgeon are both saying I'll be ready for surgery next month but I don't have a date yet. I'm getting very anxious so I appreciate your posts to see how things have been going for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You. I completely understand your anxiousness but try to be as excited as possible. I look forward to seeing you progress through your journey. It's funny how the time waiting around for surgery drags and then once you have it, the time just fly's past :)

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you already have your braces removal date!! That's so exciting!! I don't know when I'm getting mine off, but I have an appointment with my orthodontist tomorrow and I'll ask him. I can open my mouth two fingers wide too, I'm glad to hear this is normal. I've been slacking on my jaw exercises. You look great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to hear I'd be getting them off so soon, I just fell short of jumping up off the chair and embracing my wonderful Orthodontist. I hope you get a date at your appointment or at least an idea of a time frame because it gives you so much motivation. Hang in there with the jaw exercises :)

      Delete